January blues are real but there's one way to make it better.My dear friend Jodie created Be Lovely Day, which we can all celebrate on the 21st. It's a day for us to collectively be lovely to someone we know, or perhaps someone we don't - just because we can.
Although many of us use January as the perfect time to set goals and become better versions of ourselves, it can be tough. We're all feeling podgy from mince pies, we're all feeling damn poor from buying presents people probably didn't like and maybe a little emotional, knowing you still don't know what you're doing with your life.
And that's when kindness comes in, it's free and makes everyone around you, including yourself happy.
There are so many different ways to be lovely, and here are just a few.
- Bake someone delicious cookies
- Compliment someone
- Visit a family member you haven't seen for a while
- Wake someone up with a hot cuppa
- Be lovely to yourself; have a pamper night, do your eyebrows, buy yourself a brand new outfit
- Be honest with someone you love
- Arrange a lunch date with someone you haven't seen for a while
- Give a homeless person a McDonalds and a coffee
- Put money in a charity pot
- Speak up and stick up for someone
- Get creative and make someone a surprise present
- Paint someone a picture
- Do someone's shopping
- Clean the house before your partner comes home
- Give your dog a treat
- Make conversation at the checkout
- Pay for your friend's coffee
- Leave someone a love note
- Offer your place in the supermarket queue
- Give your seat up for someone else
- Smile at a stranger
- Stay optimistic for the whole day
- Hugs all around
- Have a day out with a sibling
- Give away your favourite book
- Send surprise flowers
- Tell someone why they're amazing
- Write a message in someone's notebook for them to find
- Plant a tree in a neglected area
- Volunteer at a local charity
- Take your unused clothes to a charity shop
- Be less wasteful with paper and plastic
You stay classy San Diego.